Site de l'université de Franche-Comté

You are foreign researcher, welcomed at the University

To prepare your stay :

It's recommended to bring the following documents (list to be personnalised according to your own situation) :

- a valid passport (for more comfort, check that your passport is valid during your whole stay in France). A national identity card is sufficient for European citizens

- the original of the hosting agreement (convention d'accueil in French) issued by the University or the research establishment if you arrive with a scientific-researcher statut

- a certificate of birth (as well as for members of your family who accompany you) at least translated in French by a sworn translator *. Most of the time, French consulates can provide this service  

a marriage certificate and / or family book at least translated in French by a sworn translator *. Most of the time, French consulates can provide this service  

* Certain nationalities must provide other conform documents like apostille or legalization of their act of civil status. Please take information from your EURAXESS services centre.

the certificate of the highest degree obtained (at least equivalent to Master level for PhD students) or certificate of PhD

- proof of private or public health insurance (European Health Insurance card for European citizens)

- proof of income if you are not an employee of the institution that welcomes you (recent payslips) and ideally your last tax assessment. These documents allow the study of your file claims for social benefits in France (housing allowances among others)

- proof of scholarship or funding of your stay by your government or organization if applicable

- school records of your children (requested at any school registration in France)

- immunization records up to date (including those of your children)

- if you plan to drive in France : your driver's license (which allows you to drive for two years in France) or international driving license, international insurance of your vehicle registration or title card of your vehicle

- several identical passport photos (standards for issuing biometric documents like residence permits)

Provide several copies of each of these documents and keep them with you the first time of your stay in France. They will be regularly asked during your first administrative steps.    

 Before leaving France : 

You need to think about :

- terminate all your contracts and subscriptions : electricity, gas, water, television, internet...

- settle and close your bank account

- report your change of address to the French government : you can easily perform this procedure by visiting the following website You can select the administrations which you want to communicate your change of address.

I subscribe and I get my guest researcher card

 Free registration here  

To enable us to personalize your welcome in France, we would be grateful if you register for free on the Acc&ssFnAK website which gives you access to the services provided by the EURAXESS France network

The Acc&ssFnAK website is also rich of information allowing you to prepare your visit in France in the best conditions.